December 17, 2014: IAG Cargo has become the world's first cargo carrier to be awarded a GDP (Good Distribution Practice) certification by a national government health agency in what is widely recognised as meeting the diamond standard for pharmaceutical transportation.
Following an inspection by the UK's Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, the carrier has been granted Wholesale Distribution Authorisation (WDA) for medicines intended for both human and veterinary use.
Alan Dorling, Global Head of Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences at IAG Cargo, commented: "The authorisation is testament to the significant investments we have made in our dedicated people and our temperature controlled infrastructure facilities and capabilities, in addition to continuous product development and training to improve our customer experience. It is welcome third party recognition that IAG Cargo has become the diamond standard for the transportation of medicines worldwide and underscores our global leadership in this fast-growing market."
Loranne Vella Zahra, Global Quality Assurance Manager at IAG Cargo, said: "GDP is a complex area that requires all areas of our supply chain to adhere to the highest standards. Our network ensures that only authorised pharmaceutical products are distributed safely, and their strength, stability, purity, potency and integrity are maintained throughout. Achieving full GDP status and being granted a WDA is testament to the strong quality system we have in place and the investment we have put in people, equipment, facilities and processes."
IAG Cargo has undergone a global investment programme in its Constant Climate product which includes:
- A dedicated Constant Climate team that combines industry experience in both the pharmaceuticals and the healthcare sectors as well as air cargo
- A brand new Constant Climate Centre which features a state of the art dedicated temperature controlled handling facility at London Heathrow
- Improved communication process, allowing customers to monitor the status of their shipments via www.iagcargo.com
- Climate Control systems specified in latest fleet investments, including B787 and A380 aircraft
- Robust Quality Management System for excellence in GDP handling