COPENHAGEN: February 29, 2016. SAS has received a €70.2 million refund following a December 2015 ruling by the European Court of First Instance, the General Court, that a fine by the European Commission (EC) was invalid.
On November 09, 2010 the EC decided to fine SAS Cargo and the SAS Group, together with 11 other airlines, for allegedly participating in a global cargo cartel.
The airline, together with its peers, appealed the ruling and won.
Since then the European Commission has had the opportunity to counter the General Court’s judgment and appeal to the Court of Justice of the European Union. SAS has been told the EC will not do so.
However the airline says the EC can make a new decision in relation to the alleged cartel at some point.
On March 14 SAS Cargo begins a daily non-stop service linking Stockholm and Los Angeles with an A330 Enhanced. The airline says it won’t accept shipments that originated in, transferred from, or transited through Yemen, Somalia, Syria or Egypt.